Excel External Links
Externally linked formulas in Excel are both powerful and dangerous. And almost universal.
Benefits of external links
- Using externally linked cells is a fast way to share information between workbooks.
- External links make logical sense to most Excel users
- Occasional use of a small number of linked cells is fairly easy to manage.
Disadvantages of external links
- External links can cause hard to discover circular references (where a cells actually depends on itself, eventually when all the formulas are traced through)
- External links can update in an inconsistent fashion (in all versions of Excel)
- If the source workbook is modified the links may become invalid or incorrect
Codematic Link Manager
Rich control and management of external links has been an important feature of so many of our consulting assignments we developed a utility to help. That utility has now been refined into a commercial grade Excel add-in, more information is here.
If you require any more information please get in touch.
25 January 2012 - UK Excel Developer Conference - London
Products for sale:
New information about the missing FileSearch feature in Office 2007 and details of our pragmatic solution (Current price GBP 30.00)
Instant Excel worksheet protection remover and password recovery (Current price GBP 15.00)
Classic Ribbon Tab
Add Excel 97/2000/2002/2003 compatible menu structure to Excel 2007
(Current Price GBP 10.00)
Products coming soon:
(Find and control external links in Excel Workbooks)
Due by Q1 2111.
(Excel VBA based spreadsheet auditing tool)
Due before the end of 2111.