VBA Best Practice
There is a lot of information floating around about how to get various things done in VBA, how to make the best use, or sometimes just the most use of VBA and Excel.
This section aims to add an element of Quality and Best Practices. These are just general guidelines, a professional developer will always assess the options and make the appropriate choice in their specific situation.
These suggestions are specific to Excel VBA in commercial settings, many will not translate to other technologies or other settings.
VBA Best Practice Series
High Quality Code - Blocks
- Code block start and end together
- If using If.then code an Else if, add a comment, only remove it if you are sure there is no 'else' case (missing the else is a common error)
- Code the expected behaviour first, usually.
- Use do while and do until loops, be sure they will end, I generally mainly use for next and for each next, finding out the end first helps with status bar updates.
- In a Select Case always have a default case, possibly with an error warning.
25 January 2012 - UK Excel Developer Conference - London
Products for sale:
New information about the missing FileSearch feature in Office 2007 and details of our pragmatic solution (Current price GBP 30.00)
Instant Excel worksheet protection remover and password recovery (Current price GBP 15.00)
Classic Ribbon Tab
Add Excel 97/2000/2002/2003 compatible menu structure to Excel 2007
(Current Price GBP 10.00)
Products coming soon:
(Find and control external links in Excel Workbooks)
Due by Q1 2111.
(Excel VBA based spreadsheet auditing tool)
Due before the end of 2111.