Spreadsheet Design Concepts Series
- Useful for flexible/powerful reporting.
- The most useful concept of Dimensionality - the number of ways to describe something
- In a spreadsheet it's the row, column, worksheet, workbook, and maybe directory.
- Very useful for things that may ordinarily be missed
- How to describe the numbers (dimensionality)
- Eg Inflation <Time?, Country?, Cost Type?>
- Eg. P&L value <P&L line description, Time, Business unit, value type (actual, budget etc), currency, Company etc>
- Useful for layout - time in cols or time in sheets?
- Hierarchies are ways of adding up dimension elements
- There may be more than one hierarchy for any given dimension
- Eg time :
- day > week > quarter > financial year
- day > calendar month > calendar year
- Reporting performance can be excellent as many calculations pre-aggregated
25 January 2012 - UK Excel Developer Conference - London
Products for sale:
New information about the missing FileSearch feature in Office 2007 and details of our pragmatic solution (Current price GBP 30.00)
Instant Excel worksheet protection remover and password recovery (Current price GBP 15.00)
Classic Ribbon Tab
Add Excel 97/2000/2002/2003 compatible menu structure to Excel 2007
(Current Price GBP 10.00)
Products coming soon:
(Find and control external links in Excel Workbooks)
Due by Q1 2111.
(Excel VBA based spreadsheet auditing tool)
Due before the end of 2111.